Fort Riley, Kansas
Just one month after Corvias assumed responsibility of approximately 4,000 homes in its partnership with the US Army at Fort Riley, the 1st Infantry Division returned to the installation after being headquartered in Germany for more than 10 years. This historic troop movement re-established Fort Riley as a prominent military installation. The population at Fort Riley quickly grew to nearly 19,000 residents from the initial estimate of 10,000. In the initial development period, more than 2,000 residents were carefully relocated to support the demolition of 1,404 homes, as well as the complicated renovation of 253 homes listed on the National Historic Register. Among the historic structures, Corvias preserved Quarters 123, originally built in 1855 and made famous by General Robert E. Lee, to accommodate modern functionality and the leaders of today’s military. All historic work was performed in close coordination among Corvias, Fort Riley, and other partners, including the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO). Corvias’ stormwater and solar initiatives on Fort Riley’s 1,919 acres have been successful in providing positive environmental and economic benefits. Fort Riley’s location next to a 100-year floodplain presented obstacles for the effective management of stormwater runoff, Corvias was able to achieve proper sanitary flows and meet stormwater requirements by utilizing advanced detention and drainage techniques. Additionally, Corvias is deploying approximately 14MW of clean and renewable solar power, for which the Army can earn 394GWh in total Renewable Energy Credits (RECs) - helping Fort Riley become more energy secure and allowing the partnership to better manage expenditures over the long-term.